Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Isaac

 

018

Yesterday morning, Isaac, Josie and I headed to the craft store to pick up a couple of things.  The craft story is always risky business with busy boys who are gigantic and can’t be contained in a cart.  There is too much to touch and too much to break.  I asked Isaac to please stay right with me, and to be a good listener.  He was great at first, but things deteriorated, and by the time I was checking out he was long gone.  When we got back home, we had this conversation:

Me:  Isaac, I was really proud of you when we first got to the craft store.  You were doing such a good job, but the longer we were there the naughtier you got.  I’m disappointed in you.

Isaac:  Well, you know what, mom?  When we first got to the craft store I really liked you, but the longer we were there, I liked you less and less.  Now I only like you a little bit.

Me:  Maybe we need a break from each other.

Isaac:  Maybe we do. (at which point he calmly walked to the basement door, opened it and headed down)

 

It doesn’t get more real than that.  Crazy kid.

2 comments:

lindsy said...

How true. How true :)

AnnaMarie said...

Wow, very grown-up of him. And honest.