Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My “Biggest Loser” Moment

(absolutely, not necessary to read if you are only looking for kid updates or the funny antics of the boys)

007

A sweeter moment in mothering.

I should preface this by saying that this post probably never would have made it to the blog if Josh were awake. Normally, this is the kind of thing I would talk to him about, but he has headed to bed for the night, and the thoughts are all there, so I just couldn’t help myself.

Last night, Josh took Will skiing again, Josie went to bed at 7:00 and Isaac fell asleep on the couch at 6:30. That left a lot of down time for me. Did it have to be down time? No. Was there plenty that I could have been doing? Yes, but I didn’t. I wrapped up in a blanket and settled in for a very unproductive night of television watching. I happened to catch parts of the “Biggest Loser”. Normally, this is not a show that I’m thrilled to watch in a pregnant state, because it always makes me want to exercise, and by exercise I don’t just mean a brisk walk on the treadmill, but I watched anyway. Without going into too much detail, there are many parent/child teams this season, and this week there was a good chance that one of these parent’s children was going to be sent home if they didn’t lose enough weight. It is natural to think that a parent would do whatever it takes to ensure that their child gets the best, but I was struck by what I saw. Of the 4 parent/child teams, 3 of the parents chose to purposely gain weight that week so that their children would definitely lose more than them and be safe, but one father did something much more noble. I believe if I heard rumors correctly these guys might actually be Mormon, but that is neither here nor there. Instead of “sacrificing” himself, Moses, the father woke his daughter up at 5:00am every morning so that they could get an extra work out in before the day began for everyone else. He pushed her as hard as he could, and by doing so ended up saving her because she lost a lot of weight that week. He lost weight too. Neither went home. That is a real parent. There was a tough situation ahead of them, and they both fought through it, and got exactly what they deserved. The others were handed their places, and are none the better for it. Holy smokes! why the long synopsis of the biggest loser?!

I’ve been feeling like that lazy parent lately. The winter wears long, I’m watching my stomach grow, and thinking, “I just did this!” and just generally feeling blah. I watched the show last night and was impressed, and then while at the gym tonight I was reading from the March Ensign. I would post the link, but it isn’t on LDS.org yet. In it there is an article by Sister Beck. The whole thing is awesome, but there is one paragraph that jumped off the page.

“Live in your home so that you’re brilliant in the basics, so that you’re intentional about your roles and responsibilities in the family. Think in terms of precision not perfection. If you have your goals and you are precise in how you go about them in your homes, youth will learn from you. They will learn that you pray, study the scriptures together, have family home evening, make a priority of mealtimes, and speak respectfully of your marriage partner. Then from your example the rising generation will gain great hope.”

Precision. Why wouldn’t I need to be precise? Was the Plan of Salvation perfect and precise in it’s plan and execution. Absolutely. Is it naïve to think that Satan isn’t exacting a precise plan in destroying families and inflicting pain and suffering wherever he can? Most definitely. Why is my plan not precise? Why am I not dilligent and careful as I prepare to bring another spirit into this world? I need to be. What kind of parent is going to make the greatest difference in their child’s life, one who easily sacrifices for them, but teaches them nothing, or one who works hard, side by side as difficult situations come?

I am only speaking for myself here, but I know that whether I spend the day feeling blah and lazy, being more irritable with my kids, and getting less done, or if I’m precise in my mothering, and homemaking, and am fully engaged in the teaching and happiness of my kids, that I’m equally tired when my head hits the pillow. It is not as if lazy days make me feel better. That is never the case. I sink deeper into the blahs as the guilt is piled on top for all that I didn’t do. Tomorrow I’m looking for precision in my home. Not perfection…have you met us?! Not really a possible aspiration at this stage of the game, but precision is goal worthy. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

lindsy said...

You are awesome. How funny that I did the exact same things last night. Settled down on the couch (with ice cream) and watched the Biggest Loser, thought how cool Moses was for getting his daughter up each morning compared to the ones who just gave it to them. Ben had a late soccer game, so I stayed up and read Sis. Beck's article and that paragraph popped out at me too. Must be something important there :) Thanks for the reminder

AnnaMarie said...

I love it! I'm impressed that that's the kind of conversation you would have with Josh if he weren't sleeping. Thanks for the uplift this morning!

AnnaMarie said...

Oh, and I'm not sure if Moses is LDS, but I think Denise is! (They showed her daughter's wedding that she missed, and it was definitely outside a temple.) I just watched the episode last night/today and totally agree with you.

The Gray Gang said...

Sooo... would you notice if I taught off of your blog?! It would be a good one. :) Thanks for giving me something to think about.