Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Wisdom of a Child

A quiet hush, for my oracle, oh ,wise one




Today the boys and I were at the park. We are always at a park. What happened today was as routine as us, well always going to the park, only today I took special notice. I was helping Isaac across the monkey bars--helping is an understatement, this is how this activity goes.

Isaac: Me do monkey bars?

Me: You want me to help you?

Isaac: Yay! Monkey bars!

I lift him up- he grabs the first bar-sand falls from unknown origins on his body into my eyes-now, me blinded encourage him to let go and grab the next one-he lets go, and merely touches a few of the other bars as I walk him to the other side-we make it to the end-I set him down-and then Isaac says, "I did it!" Blinded and tired (he is no light-weight) I say, "Yay, Giggies, you did it!"

Isaac says "I did it!" after almost everything that he does. He is always incredibly enthusiastic about it too, no matter how great or small the action. I think that I can learn something from that. I spend too much time worrying about the cleanliness, the perfectness is which something is executed rather than just being thankful sometimes that I did it. Having this kind of attitude makes it incredibly hard to ever be satisfied with yourself, and I rarely am. I could have always done that better, or done more. I'm not saying that trying to better yourself isn't, obviously, desirable, but being able to savor your accomplishments, no matter how you finally got there is to be enjoyed, and certainly a necessary step to keep you sane. Thanks to the wisdom of my Giggle-monster for teaching me this today.

Old habits die hard, but acknowledging that I have the problem is the first step. Right?

1 comment:

AnnaMarie said...

That's a good lesson. Thanks for it! I know I don't feel very accomplished if I "just" do it!