Saturday, September 6, 2008

2008: The Summer of Tennis


Living in Wisconsin for the last two years, and thus spending the last two winters here, has taught us a very important lesson...live for the summer time! If the sun is shining and the humidity isn't causing our skin to sizzle, then we are outside. It used to be walks to the park that kept us occupied, but I have a new addiction. Tennis! Mid-June, I told Josh that I would hit the ball around with him (he has been playing for years) and all it took was one look of surprise on his face when I had a few decent hits back, and I've been hooked ever since. I suppose I have some pathological need for praise. Yeah, it definitely is a pattern for me...
Josh always assumed that I had no athletic ability. Pretty safe assumption since I never played any sports outside of church programs, but I do have five brothers, and thought myself a "tom-boy" growing up, that really could have been more as a defense mechanism than what I really was. I didn't know how to do my hair or make-up and instead,ending up looking like a boy more than a girl. "Tom-boy" sounds more like I meant to do it, rather than a result of my own ineptitude.
Anyway, I tend to shock Josh and then I go crazy with it, for example:
When we were first married we lived in St. George, and we were broke. We bought a cheap basketball at Wal-Mart, and spent a lot of time shooting baskets. I grew up with a basketball hoop, so I was decent for a girl. Josh was shocked...I was hooked. We played H-O-R-S-E right up until I delivered Will.
Next came catch-Josh didn't think that I threw like a girl, so when Will was little we'd get him all set up on a blanket at the park, and play for as long as he would let us.
Next, Tae-Bo. This one is silly, but Josh commented on how my kicks and punches looked good, and that was the end. I became a kicking, punching machine.
Next, Running. I still love it. I never fancied myself a runner. I would only do it if being chased, and even then I'd rather curl up and cry hoping my pursuer would take pity, but Josh challenged me to run a certain distance. I was able to do it, and the rest went like all the others. I had to run! At my first race that I ran, they came over on the loud speaker and said, "Athletes, line up" and I got a big, stupid smile on my face, and yelled to Josh, "Did you hear that, they called me an ATHLETE!"
I'm sure there have been many other things in between, some of shorter durations, but my newest obsession is Tennis! During the months of June and July we were playing tennis two times a day a lot of days. Luckily, there are several tennis courts nearby that have playgrounds right next to the courts, so the boys play and we are left to feed our addiction. It really is an addiction. We played three sets this morning, and only an hour later, I was asking Josh if we could go again. He is good to me, so went again this evening. The thought of the weather turning cold and the courts being covered with snow is very upsetting to me. We looked into "Tennis Clubs" (somewhere we could play indoors all winter) and that would be a great option if we were bizillionaires or rock stars, but for little, old us, it's not an option. We would be better off to throw on our snow suits and get the snow shovels out. If only I could find a winter time obsession! Then I wouldn't have to be so depressed at the thought of the seemingly 6 solid months of cold, gray, snow-filled days. I swear that Wisconsin was not meant to be lived in during the winter months. It is strictly for nomads, and snow-birds who are free to go south for the winter. It really is ridiculous.
Blah. Blah. Blah. This is becoming quite lengthy. As my tennis season is nearing an end, this summer will go down in Brown family history as 2008: The Summer of Tennis.

1 comment:

Darcy said...

oh I am getting depressed just thinking about winter coming! You can always make your new obsession coming to my house!!! You and the kids are always welcomed just call me!