Wednesday, August 20, 2008

It's a Sad Day When...


Today I was cleaning my kitchen for the 3rd or 4th time ( it really wasn't that messy, but Josh has been working a ton of hours at the hospital, and I get bored ) and I found myself daydreaming. What should be a time to let my thoughts go crazy and think about whatever I want, instead, was a sad wake-up call to the state of my life. This being said, I think that it is all within the natural course that things should be taking.


So...here is my train of thought. I was sweeping the floor with a very mediocre broom that I bought from Wal-Mart that has a dust pan that I hate! That's right, I hate my dust pan, and I thought to myself, "If we had more money right now, I would drive to the store and buy a really nice broom."


My mind took me next to a conversation I had just had with my sister. She recently got a new vacuum, and was telling me how great it worked. I thought to myself, "I can't wait until we have more money one day. When we get that first big paycheck, the first thing I'm buying is a Dyson."


Then, I pulled out one of my sorry, old pots from the drawer ( you know the kind that is worn out to the point that everything you cook in it looks like it's been seasoned with pepper, but really its just flecks of teflon that have flaked off the pan ) and it reminded me of a Christmas long ago--a Christmas that at the time I thought must have been so disappointing to my mom, but now I see. It was was the greatest Christmas ever! My dad bought my mom a brand new set of pots and pans, and a whole new set of dishes. As a young kid, I thought LAME! Now--It might bring a tear to my eye to receive such gifts.


So, to all the people out there who say to there husbands that they better not ever get them a new kitchen appliance or a vacuum as a gift, you must have private chefs and cleaning people, because I can't think of anything else that would bring me greater happiness.


Save your fancy cars, vacations, and toys. I don't need it. Instead, give me those cool toilet brushes with the disposable heads, and a broom that has a dustpan that gets a tight seal between it and the floor so you don't end up with that line of dirt underneath it, and please give me a vacuum that could suck the hair right off the head by the roots. These things would bring me the greatest satisfaction. A trip would be nice, but if I took that trip and sacrificed the vacuum, I know when I got back I would be kicking myself the first time I pulled out the Hoover that just blows the dirt around rather than sucking it up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!! I totally had an experience just like your Christmas experience. And I think some of the same thoughts! I would die for a nice set of pots, dishes, or definately a Dyson for Christmas!!

Deb said...

  Hang in there my friend; school doesn't go on forever, and there's still time for great experiences with good memories afterwards. Believe me, been where you are and done it with 2 small children also. Made me smile to remember our handmedown vacuum,pots & pans though too. 

Kali said...

What's sad is we have a "real" job and we still have to pinch pennies for certain things. ha ha ha.... I finally got a NEW pan! My first one ever besides crummy ones. It was only $20 from Sam's Club. I think you should buy one for yourself! :)

Darcy said...

And then there is me...I just daydream about the day when I can afford to pay someone else to clean my house. I wish I thought to CLEAN when I was bored my house would look amazing!!!