Saturday, October 25, 2008

Winter Preparations

My favorite view in Whitnall Park
(although, not the greatest picture of it)
We have lived in Wisconsin a little over two years now. Since being here, I would say that I have learned A LOT! The things I have learned are of a great variety, but one thing stands out above the rest. I really don't like Wisconsin winters. I do, however, love Wisconsin the other 6 months of the year. (Yes, I'm saying winter is 6 months long here--if not, then it is stinkin' close) Wisconsin is more beautiful than I could have ever imagined. Bear with me now as a try to draw an analogy for you to explain the less desirable side of this great state.
I really like to go running, and who wouldn't if you were able to run with this as your backdrop? (see above picture) Running in an atmosphere like this does more for you than just getting in your recommended cardio, it really is peaceful...this is how I feel about living in Wisconsin most of the year. It's a good place to be. We live in a nice, seemingly safe area (I say seemingly because I could be surrounded by crazies and just not know it yet) our kids are happy, life is wonderful...peaceful. Then something unsettling happens.
Allow me to introduce you to my non-human arch nemesis.
(human arch nemesis...you know who you are)

College Ave. entering Whitnall Park
Most of my runs at Whitnall Park are just as I said before...peaceful, but every single run ends with this bad boy. This is the hill that we access to enter the park, and if you run down it then eventually, you are going to have to go back up it. I don't feel that these pictures do it justice, but let me explain to you what used to happen to me when the hill would come into view. About a 1/2 mile prior to this hill you have a great view of it, and it can seem pretty daunting. When I first started running it made me feel: 1) intimidated 2) queazy 3) short of breath, because as I approached it my breathing would get all funky, and then I'd start breathing too short and too fast, making the hill almost unbearable. It's one of those hills that when you get on it, you think after you're about half way up that you've finished the worst, but, that isn't so. The hill takes it up a notch, and gets steeper on you.

Looking down on the hill


What's my point? This hill is my winter! and like the hill, just when you think, "hey, I'm doing alright, this is going to be okay!" Not so--we hit the deep freeze of January and February and you just keep waiting for the thaw that should come at the end of March? April? oh, please let it be in May!! So, here is my new resolve. Through more preparation and consistency this hill has become a lot more bearable. I still usually don't look forward to it, but every once in a while I get that crazy look in my eye, and pump up it as hard as I can.

So...instead of the panic that has set in the previous two years as winter time approaches, I'm going to do my best to conquer the beast that is Wisconsin winter, and not let it make me intimidated, or queasy, or nervous. No more!
When we first moved here, our Bishop called us in for an interview, and he asked me if I suffer from seasonal depression. I thought that was the strangest thing to be asked, but now I get it! Introduce me to a fellow Wisconsinite who does not get a little loopy in the winter. This is my year to conquer and this is my plan:
1) Exercise every day (minus Sunday) I need those happy exercise endorphins pumping through me daily...without a steady supply, the wicked cold sucks them from your being making you feel lazy and fat!
2) Shower and get ready first thing in the morning. I don't do this now, but I think that it says something to be "ready" to go somewhere, even if you can't open your doors because they are frozen shut.
3) Learn to make my kids my friends. Winter is a time of great isolation here. You just don't take your kids out, because that is pretty much the equivalent of child abuse--You've heard the stories of how if you spit in the air it will freeze before it hits the ground? Same is true of little kids--they don't stand a chance. A walk from the grocery store to your car pretty much turns them into human novelty ice (you know, the ice that has the toy spiders in it--I can make those with my boys!)
4) Find a daily project. Whether it be tackling that one closet that you know is a mess even though nobody else knows or cares, or a craft for the boys. I think it will be important to be able to see something accomplished every day.
5) Get myself some proper winter wear. As of today, I own a coat, beanie, and those little "one-size-fits-all" knit gloves. I can tell you now--not sufficient. I am determined to embrace outdoor winter time here in Wisconsin. I need to be outside, and so do my boys, so we will need to be properly outfitted so that we don't lose our fingers, toes, or noses.
Perhaps, a silly list, but one I'm taking seriously. November is going to be my month of preparation. I feel like now that I've posted this, I am somehow accountable to you all for doing it. I would love to hear what you do to make winter time a wonderland and not hell frozen over. Any suggestions would be helpful.

2 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

Good plan, Megan.

Also, Katie & I will be taking a sled ride over to your house instead of taking the stroller. Tell us when you go winter clothes shopping, because I need to get Katie a snowsuit. I will go outside this winter.

I can help you plan crafts, or host some crafts at my house! We should do this once a week.

I'm starting my indoors exercise routine also. I hate the fat winter.

We'll get through this! :)

lindsy said...

that seriously should be posted in the ward bulletin before the snow starts falling!!