Monday, May 14, 2012

The Goods

 

DSCI1132

My Mother’s Day harvest.  I’m not a fan of Mother’s Day.  I do think that mother’s are amazing, and I think it’s great that we make a special effort to recognize them, so generally speaking, I’m a fan.  Individually—not as much.  I often feel very inadequate as a mother.  Despite my best efforts,  my renewed commitment to not losing my patience, or always talking in a gentle tone often are thwarted by my pride, immaturity, and sometimes laziness.  Mother’s day glorifies all the best things in mothers, and because that isn’t always  me, I don’t enjoy it much.  However, it does serve as a great day to be reminded of how lucky I am that despite my obvious shortcomings, I have been blessed with pretty neat kids.  I’m thankful to be their mom, and I’m grateful that mother’s day helps bring that to the forefront with increased brightness. 

Because they are such great kids, and because it’s a school project to do so Smile I get some pretty cool things. 

From Will:  a very cute and useful clay cupcake that’s hollowed out to hold my most precious of items, and of course, a card.  Inside it lists the adjectives that Will identifies with his mom.

-athletic   -tired  -sharing  -helping  -sleeping  -teacher  -playful  ---I’d said he has a pretty good grasp on what I’m all about

From Isaac:  He planted a marigold seed for me, and was sure that it would have bloomed by now.  It has begun to sprout, but nowhere near a flower.  I could tell this was causing him distress on Saturday, because he’d quickly sneak away with my gift and come back dejected.  On Sunday when I opened the bag it was in, and pulled it out, he told me that “It’s supposed to be a flower!  I don’t get it!  I watered it 5 times yesterday and still no flower!”  I assured him it would be fun to watch it bloom together, and he probably ought to get it out in the sun because flowers don’t really like swimming.

His card:  The likeness portrayed in his drawing is striking.  I do consider myself quite leggy, and often where a short skirt or long t-shirt (unsure which) that reads “I Love Mom”. 

Inside he wrote: “Dear Mom, Happy Mother’s Day.  You are the best mom I know.  I love you the best.  The best just the way you are.  Love Isaac”

I can assure you that hearing that from my Isaac is music to my ears.  The other 364 days of the year will not likely include such sentiments, so I’ll take it!  even if it only is on mother’s day.

2 comments:

Tyler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AnnaMarie said...

Hilarious! I love Isaac's picture of you. You are a terrific mom! No moms are perfect, and most of us don't enjoy it half the time. But to your kids, you are the best mom, and always will be!