Thursday, May 10, 2012

How we do it

FHE, in the conference room at Josh’s lab

DSCI1120

I get stopped by people a lot (mostly at church), who know how busy Josh is and they’ll say, “I don’t know how you do it!”  It’s a silly thing to say really.  How does anyone do it?!  You just do.  What’s that saying?  necessity breeds ability?  So, that’s it.  That’s how we do it.  That’s what life requires, so that’s what we do.  I recognize they are trying to be nice, but it does start to get under your skin when you are stopped by very concerned people wondering how you do it, but none of them saying, “let me help!”  Not that I’d want their help, but you know what I mean.  By them asking all the time, it’s like them rubbing it in that their lives are less crazy than mine, and then going about their business.  Whew! Now don’t I feel better for having that encounter! (sarcastic much?)

We are so blessed.  Maybe that’s why I don’t like the concern.  We are lucky to be in the position we are in, and I don’t take it for granted.  Hard to feel picked on when that’s what my life really is.  We just make adjustments.  Traditionally, a family would have dinner at home at their table.  We sometimes do it in the cafeteria at the medical school.  FHE is held in the living room…or, for us, in the conference room in the Brain Research Institute building.  I have a feeling that even though our daddy doesn’t always get to see his kids every day, my kids will look back on this time with fond memories of the swivel chairs at the lab, the electronic key pass they get to use to move around the building, and of course, dessert on the curb in front of the college Smile

DSCI1122

1 comment:

The Gray Gang said...

Super awesome memories! Our Tuesdays are dinner with Daddy at school too. What delicious dessert is that?