Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sometimes You Just Treat Yourself to a Can Opener

A couple of weeks ago I was shopping at Target, and I meandered by the cooking utensils.  I admired the manual can openers hanging neatly on the wall.  The can opener I had at home just wasn’t cutting it.  Literally.  It was becoming increasingly impossible to open a can without either having it’s contents splattered all over the counter from the can slipping off over and over, or producing a lid with jagged edges that were sure to slice right into my fingers.  Even with this realization that I needed a new can opener, I probably went to the store 15 times, thought of it, and then passed (from some reason) and went home to continue struggling with the old one.  Well, while at Target, I admired them and then for the 16th time was about to walk away, but then I didn’t.  I turned back.  Grabbed one.  Have been nothing but pleased with my $8 purchase!

I shared my can opener miracle story with Josh, and so thus, it seems only logical that the next thing that followed was a trip to the Toyota dealership to pick up this beauty!  We got it over the weekend and I could not be more pleased.  We traded in my still quite new Santa Fe for it.  I loved my Santa Fe.  Unlike my old can opener there were many wonderful things about that car, but it just wasn’t cutting it anymore for our family.  It technically had enough seats for all of us, but functionally it was a pain to load everyone in.  Josh being the incredibly generous husband that he is wanted to help ease my burden in some way, and moved quickly to make this happen. 

For most of us the van is a very welcome addition.  The boys beg to go places with me just so they can ride in it.  They clamor to be the one to push the buttons to shut the door, so much so that I could probably use it as a bribe of some kind….hmmm…

Josh wishes that he was the stay at home parent so he could drive it all the time. (I have reminded him that the kids come with that deal, but he sticks by his desire)

DSCI0915

DSCI0925

Josie remains undecided.  She seems pleased in this picture, but trap her in the straps of her car seat and a very different demon,  Josie, emerges.  Perhaps less to do with the van, and more to do with this sassy, independent, almost two year old we have. 

5 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

Hey, we just did that!

The Gray Gang said...

I must say, I was a wee bit jealous to see that beauty in my driveway!!! If I take your kids can I have the van too? I'm that desperate. Cody doesn't "get" the loading issues, nor does he understand the luxury of a mini van. Oh well, at least my can opener is working like a charm! :)

Kali said...

CONGRATS on the new can opener :D and car! What a sweet ride! You guys deserve it. Can opener part of the story had me cracking up. You guys are funny!

Angie said...

I am so happy for you! We have had a Sienna for 5 years now, and we have put 130,000 miles on it (we bought it with 25,000). I have been asking for a new one just like yours for a while, but it hasn't happened yet....Maybe I'll have to show Dann your blog post. I am sure you will love it!!

Margie c said...

Mini-vans are AWESOME! I can't imagine raising kids without one. When they are little...toting EVERYTHING you need...and when the kids are in college or beyond..moving them in & out of dorms & apts! We are moving our youngest Sarah next month as she graduates from college. 4 children times 4 years at Luther College = 32 times moving kids in & out of college! Our 2001 Dodge Caravan just got back from a trip to Georgia with daughter Sarah & 6 other college kids for Spring break...we are up to 290,000 miles on this mini-van! Have fun making memories in your new Sienna!!