Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Good Ol' Days

I'm a little late in posting this, since we have warmed up nearly 70 "feels like" degrees from the day this actually happened. So, to those of you reading this now I realize that we are at a balmy 20 degrees, but you remember the cold I'm about to speak of and you remember it well.

We had a bit of a cold snap in the last week. I believe they said that this came on the tail end of a "Canada clipper"...damn the Canadians! (I believe a cuss word is appropriate for the cold that we experienced). It was so cold that when walking into church both of my boys got just a few feet away from the car and just stopped, dead in their tracks (they could have very well been frozen) and just started crying. It was really cold.

I was driving to the gym on one of these nights, and noticed 3 people walking home from the grocery store. My heart sank for them...yes, it really elicited an emotional response for them on my part. No-I don't know them, but, Yes-I wanted to cry for them. It was that cold! I immediately flipped around, and said a prayer that went something like this, "Heavenly Father, please don't let these people be rapists or murderers..." and picked them up.

Here comes the really sad part of this story. They hesitated to get in the car! I realize that people don't do this anymore. I'm sure at the moment I pulled over and told them to get in they offered up the same prayer that I had previously uttered, and then when I demanded that they get in, they climbed in and over the car seats. When the last boy got into the car he said, "What is your name?" I told him, and then he said, "Megan, did God send you?" I told him that I don't know if God did or not, but that I was happy to give Him the credit.

After just a short 1/2 mile to their home, they got out, warmer and happier people. I wish that the world weren't so scary that we could do more things like this without having to question our safety, but this just isn't the case in most situations. But, in the spirit of "taking the winter by the horns" I thank the hell-ish cold for the opportunity to exercise a little humanity and kindness.

3 comments:

lindsy said...

wow, that's awesome. that is a little scary, but it sounds like they realllly appreciated it

H. said...

Wow, that's so cool. I had a similar experience in a rainstorm in safe Orem, UT and I still had those same worries. I think about the stories during the depression when people just helped out strangers, invited them in for dinner or whatever. I wish we still lived in that kind of a world.

Marci said...

Man, I felt your pain. Here I was, dragging a crying Addie while Max was slipping out of my arms just gasping from the cold. And I don't have anything dressy that covers my legs (curse of having two summer pregnancies previously). I blame the Christmas program on my having to drag my poor children to church that day.
Also, I have to commend you on your bravery. I can honestly say, the only times (maybe two) I've felt like I should stop, I've had a car full of children and that adds another layer to my apprehension. Corey, on the other hand, will flip around in a heartbeat. I'm glad there are people like you that follow that impulse, because I know you made that little family's month! I'd bet they are still talking about that crazy lady that forced them into her car so she wouldn't feel guilty about seeing them on the news as frozen statues later on. You're a good woman!