Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Our Trip to Utah: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

In no particular order…

Bad.  Having to say good-bye to our daddy for so long.  Josh has been very busy over the last 9 months, and my kids don’t get the kind of daddy time that a lot do, but they cherish what comes their way, even if it’s only a morning snuggle party.  This is from the morning we left.  They really do just do this on their own.  Never staged.  It’s what our daddy was made for Smile  We weren’t even off of our street when we started the drive before Will was saying that he already missed dad.

2012-06-13 06.21.41

Good.  This sweet little boy took the “best rider award” both to and from Utah.  He was amazingly good.  I think when Matt offered to drive us he expected to hear the most from Jameson.  He’s the baby, why wouldn’t he?

2012-06-14 11.54.47

Bad.  Matt probably wasn’t anticipating the amount of noise that came out of this guy.  The curse of a six year old boy.  I’ve been through it once, and have seen that they come out better on the other side (thank goodness) but man alive! 

2012-06-14 11.55.19

Good.  The amount of cousins we had access to at all times!

2012-06-22 13.42.252012-07-01 19.47.202012-06-28 17.24.30

My sister, Alisha, came up from St. George with her 4 kids, and stayed with me and my kids.  Each day we’d load up with our kids and often a few of my brother’s kids to head over to my sister in law’s house to play with her 4 kids!  For over two weeks there was just a constant flux of kids in and out of minivans and houses.  You never left with the same kids you brought, and you almost always had a different crew sleeping at your house each night with all the sleepovers they had.

Bad.  Feeding and hydrating that many kids!  The amount of plastic cups we had lined up on countertops at all times with names written on them with a Sharpie was ridiculous!

Things were going along swimmingly until they took a turn for the ugly.

 

Ugly.  Isaac cuts his knee open.

2012-06-25 08.23.012012-06-25 08.24.03

I think it was only the second weekend we were there, and Will and Isaac were with their grandparents, hiking in Park City.  I got a call from Josh’s mom saying Isaac had fallen and cut his knee.  She calmly told me he’d need stitches and asked where they should take him.  With this first call I wasn’t too alarmed.  We had done the stitches thing before.  It was on his knee, so I wasn’t worried about a scar.  “Wherever,” I told her.  A while later I got a call from her saying they were at the Deer Valley Clinic and they were sending him to the ER because this cut was too bad for them to take care of.  What?!  Things started to turn here.  I became more worried, and Nana started losing it.  Each phone call from her became a little more frantic, all the while making me a lot more worried.  The last call she was allowed to make to me was when she told me, “It’s bad, really bad.  The doctor at the ER says they don’t know if he’ll need surgery or not…”  What?!  This was a lot different than the 1/2 inch cut I had originally pictured.  Now, in fairness to our Nana, she saw his knee.  It was disgusting.  I don’t blame her for getting more upset as this ordeal played out.  The next phone call I got was from Grandpa Brian.  Isaac wasn’t going to need surgery.  They took x-rays to check if debris had got into his joint.  This cut was long and deep.  If it had gotten in there, then surgery would have been necessary to get it out.  Thankfully, that wasn’t the case.  I didn’t get anymore calls from Nana. Smile  He came home after a long day with aftercare instructions and antibiotics, and a gloomy feeling that this was going to be the worst vacation ever.  I don’t blame him.

Uglier.  About 48 hours after he cut it, I was taking his dressing off to put on a clean one, to find not only a gnarly cut, but signs of infection all around it.  He was in a lot of pain, and I had to take him to the ER again.  Thankfully, Alisha was there to watch all the kids so I could take off.  Hours later we were back home with a second antibiotic and two less stitches that they had to pop out to let it drain.  He had about 20 placed in the first place.  For two weeks he was taking 10 teaspoons of pretty yucky antibiotics.  Bad.

Bad.  While I was at the ER with Isaac, my baby locked himself in the bathroom.

  2012-06-25 13.28.25

(This is not Jameson trapped in the bathroom, but it is him trapped in a laundry basket)

He crawled right in there, shut the door, and then pulled out the drawer in front of it.  My sister couldn’t get him out.  Try as she might!  She was configuring every type of MacGyver type tool she could think of to get that drawer shut from the other side of the door to set him free, but nothing worked.

Good.  My brother, St. Matthew, is only ever 5 minutes away.  He came over, and without hesitation pried a metal bar into the door jam and set him free. 

Ugly.  The damage done to the door jam.  Sorry mom.  I think this was preferable to you inheriting a one year old.  Which seemed like our only other alternative.  Seriously though, it’s Alisha’s fault. Blame her.

To be continued…

2 comments:

The Gray Gang said...

Oh.my.word! This started out sounding fun.... Poor Isaac! His knee looks awful. lAnd your poor sister! Kevin locked himself in the bathroom once. It's a horrible feeling.

AnnaMarie said...

Wow. That's a lot of adventure already!