Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Palmyra

It has actually taken a lot longer for me to blog about this trip than it did to do it, but I have had zero motivation to blog, so...without further adieu, I present Palmyra.
Like our previous church history stop (Kirtland) our boys proved to be quite predictable at being total turds on the tours, so any tours we did, were done separately, but I'm still glad we got to see it, nonetheless.
The monument at Hill Cumorah.
Both Josh and I thought it would have been cooler to see the actual hill, instead of this big statue. I suppose it is just easier to picture Joseph digging up the plates that way, but apparently, the church didn't find it necessary to consult us on this matter.
The Grandin Print Shop, where the Book of Mormon was first published. Josh thought this tour was fantastic, until I brought the boys in and ruined it all.

The incredible Palmyra Temple. This temple is stunning, and was by far the highlight of my experience in Palmyra. It was so nice to be able to do a session while we were there.


Doors to the temple. You can't see it well, but all of the doors and windows in this temple are stained glass, resembling the Sacred Grove.



Josh and Turd 1, and Turd 2





Main Street in Palmyra. I fell in love with this little town.

Me at the temple. Sometimes when I type captions like that I feel like I am just being insulting, to you, the reader, as if you couldn't interpret that yourself.


This beauty is what we called home while in Palmyra. I use beauty loosely, although you would never know it by the boy's reaction to all of the trash holes that we stayed in. Josh and I would walk in with noses upturned at whatever funky smell each room emitted, while the boys excitedly ran around screaming, "This room is the best! I love this place! It has a bed, and...OH! a drawer, and...look over there! two hangers!" Foolish children.
Overall, Palmyra was beautiful. The drive through upstate New York has got to be one of the prettiest stretches of land in the whole country. This place comes highly recommended.







1 comment:

Jen I said...

Trashy hotels, yeah, but can I just say how cute you look in that picture? I love your hair! You make me glad we did that trip before we had kids. :)

And I love Boston too. Love it.