Thursday, February 5, 2009

Costly Repair or Desirable Water Feature?

I gave the boys a bath this morning. All was going well until the tub was full and Will turned off the water, or so we thought. The water turned mostly off, just not to that all too desirable position of all the way off that we seek when we twist the knob. The water still at this very moment continues to run. We aren't talking a drip, drip, drip, but a steady stream.

The sequence of events went as follows:

Me: Will turn off the water all the way.
Will: I did
Me: Does it look off?
Will: It won't move anymore.
Me: Let me try (sigh...you silly little child)
Twist, twist. Yep, it won't move anymore.

I waited anxiously for it to slow down and come to a stop. No such luck.

Me: (in my head) ah, Sh@#. (out loud) well, all be darned!
Will: Turn it off quick, the water is going to wash away our house!

There was no turning it off, so what did I do? First, checked the internet. All signs point to turning off the water supply. Simple enough. I went down stairs confident that a big sign with flashing bulb lights surrounding it would be just screaming the direction of said shut off valve. What would you have done? Called your husband? Foolishness. I skipped the middle man (Josh) who would just become frustrated at the mishap, and went straight to the source of handy man wisdom. Don't get me wrong Josh is the prime source for a lot of things. He is very useful when it comes to all the neurons I have that may need patch clamping. Or, if I have a cornea that needs to be removed, but pipes and wires, and anything construction is not really his forte'.
So I proceed to the source...

(Phone ringing)
Man answers: Hello?
Me: Hi dad. I'm in my basement and I need to know how to turn the water off to my house.

I'm sure at this point he does his best to stifle his laughter as he thinks to himself, "Who owns a house and doesn't know where these things are?" We do!
Being a good dad he politely pushes those mocking thoughts out of his head and begins offering suggestions of where to find it.

With his help and with the help of my neighbor for verification, the shut off valve was located, unfortunately, my man-sized hands are not capable of producing enough uumph to twist the blasted thing.

(phone ringing)
man answers: Hello?
Me : Hi dad. I can't get it to turn. It seems to be stuck.
Man: wait for Josh, he is stronger (another thing that he is useful for) and until then enjoy the soothing sounds. People pay a lot of money to produce the sounds that you haphazardly created.
Me: Thanks, dad.

4 comments:

H. said...

I hope the soothing sounds of water are melting away all your stess :)

LittleFamilyJL said...

That is funny....unfortunately.
I hope it turned out well!

Serenity said...

I don't get it. What does sh@# mean? Just kidding... you're funny Megan! Bummer!! Ya, I'd be calling my dad too... Russ is in the same boat as Josh. Minus the neurons and corneas. I hope you got it fixed! Unless of course you got attached to the soothing sound of your little water feature.

Darcy said...

You are hilarious!!! Hope you got it all figured out!