Sunday, July 13, 2014

Doors and Windows-Part 1

This is my cute husband.  
He and I have been married nearly 11 years now, and I've learned a lot about him in that time.  One thing that didn't take me too long to catch on to (as in the very first night in our first apartment) is that he likes the blinds up on all the windows, and he consistently leaves open any cabinet door he has been in.  He would make a terrible criminal.  He doesn't know the first thing about covering his tracks.  I can walk in a room and give you a detailed list of all his doings by the trail of crumbs he leaves in his wake.  But I digress...one thing that I couldn't have caught onto on that first night was how symbolic these behaviors were for the workings of his brain.
When Josh and I got married, he had already graduated with his bachelors, and had decided to change career paths at that time and begin premed courses.  We went on a lot of walks (that's what you do when you're poor) and talked about his interest in medicine.  He knew he wanted to go to medical school, but didn't think he wanted to be a doctor.  I quickly assured him that if he went to medical school he would in fact become a doctor.  Period.
I remember it mentioned on one walk that he had an interest in research.  He mentioned something about a program called "MD/PhD".  He thought it might be cool, I thought it might be LONG, and that was the end of it.  Well fast forward to when we were applying to medical school, and imagine my surprise when we were contacted by two different schools wanting to interview him for their MD/PhD programs.  I had to have him remind me again what it was!  The thing is, with my Josh, is that he hates to close doors or windows.  He was interested in medicine AND research, so instead of choosing one or the other...he did both.
Now, if you know anybody like this, you can relate to what an excruciating process it is to make decisions (of all kinds--thank goodness he has me sometimes).  All factors need to be considered, pros and cons need to be written down, analyzed, and put into a spread sheet, and then converted into graph form (He really is a true researcher at heart), and even then he comes back and says, "Meg, I just can't decide.  You pick."  AGHH!
So, with all of this in mind, picking a field to specialize in was super fun!  I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that we spent millions of hours discussing this.  At first I tried to help him work through it on his own.  That took us nowhere.  Then, I got greedy and started trying to convince him that some of the more lucrative specialties would be super great!  Not only did he not ever really jump on board with those, it felt completely wrong.  After millions of hours of discussing this, I read thoroughly through the websites of the handful of schools that offered a dual residency in Neurology AND Psychiatry.  Because lets face it, when you've already spent the first 11 years of your marriage poor, and in training, what's another 6?  As soon as I read through these websites it became very clear that this was indeed the place Josh belonged.  Doors wide open.
Now we are here, and its becoming more and more apparent that by his willingness to keep doors open (which I assure is not the path of least resistance) that he has indeed set himself up for a future career where it seems that every door will be wide open to him.  My sweet husband, will likely get to do whatever he wants to do...fingers crossed he'll be able to decide :)

1 comment:

AnnaMarie said...

Yay, that's what he wanted to do! Keep writing!