Saturday, February 16, 2013

So Much Love

 

DSCI1696

Our little Valentine’s celebration.  I don’t think this picture is blurry as much as it is marred by Josie’s smudgy hands playing on the camera.  Either way, it’s the best one I got.  My sister and I have talked a couple of times of the one Valentine’s Day that my mom made all of our beds, cut out a big heart from construction paper, wrote a note, and then taped a candy bar to it, and had it sitting on our pillow when we got home from school.  It obviously left an impression, because it’s what she does for her own kids now, and because I am a lesser mom and feel like I have a lot more weaknesses to make up for on the parenting front; I take it a step further and buy my kids gifts.  Nothing says I’m failing you as a mother quite like a new NERF basketball hoop. Smile  That’s not exactly why I get them gifts—not that it isn’t true that in some ways my kids definitely drew the short straw, but the real reason is because we do things for our kids in the name of celebration on many random occasions, but it makes a lot more sense to me to give them a present on a day that represents love than it does to give them a basket of candy on the day Jesus was resurrected.  I do it, but I don’t get it.

I do love them.  Isaac made me a heart out of clay in art, with all manner of colors and glitter.  Will made me a picture with hearts in a really neat pattern.  I didn’t realize this was a gift for me, and spent a chunk of one evening coloring it with him, so he could have it ready for school the next day.  When he gave it to me he said, “Ha!  I bet you didn’t know you were coloring your own present!  At least now it looks better than if I would have done it by myself!”  Funny.

DSCI1692DSCI1693DSCI1720DSCI1597

I’d say that I have a lot to love.

Which brings me to this guy…

Boston_to_the_end_109

He’s pretty much the best.  I’ve known Josh for 10 years now, and been married to him all but 6 months of that time, and the longer I’m with him, the more I know that he is the best.  In 10 years time I’d say that Josh and I have tackled a lot.  I know that a lesser guy would have sunk, big time, but Josh has not only endured, he has gotten better with each year.  I think that means he’s doing it right.  Josh is the perfect companion for me.  I’m proud of how well we work together.  I know that there is nobody that I’d rather be with.  I’m so thankful that I have a husband that talks to me.  Really talks to me.  About everything.  With all that he has on his plate, and with as tired as he is, if I really want to dive into any topic he’ll make himself emotionally and mentally available for that conversation.   In every way, we are each other’s equal, although we each have very different responsibilities.  I’m yet to meet anyone who loves and enjoys their kids like he does.  I’m envious of the way he can get in there and make any situation fun.   We’ve had neighbor kids knock on our door, ask if Will can play, and then say, “Do you think his dad can come out too?”  He’s just that fun.

DSCI1722DSCI1727

To prove my point, this is what he is doing, right now, as I type.  He’s simply the best, and I love him.

1 comment:

AnnaMarie said...

LOL at the Easter comment, and that Will tricked you into coloring your own Valentine. I'm glad you have Josh, and that he has you. You guys are great. Come visit us!

Also, you have totally wimpy snow there!