Sunday, November 4, 2012

DIYers

I wanted to be very clever while writing about all of the projects we have done recently, but I’m too tired from all of the projects.  Instead, I’ll consider it a success that it’s only taken me 3 months since we wrapped up the majority of the work that I’m just now posting this.

IMG_0139

This is my living room carpet just before demo day.  It’s embarrassing to even put it up.  Can you tell where the furniture and rugs were?

I did a terrible job taking before pictures and there are none from the project themselves.  Far too frenzied work pace for that.

Here are the afters:

DSCI1425DSCI1426

I’m proud to say that Josh and I did all of it!  We aren’t really the handy type, so yay us!

-Installed new flooring

-tore out old baseboard trim, and installed all new baseboards

-painted everything

Hmmm.  That list seems too short for how much work it was.  I can say after two days of installing flooring from the moment my eyes opened in the morning until late into the night that my body has never been so tired and weary.  I don’t know how people do that for a living.

 

The kitchen:

DSCI0144

I didn’t take any before pictures of the kitchen, but this picture shows, the floor, the backsplash (or lack of) and the countertops. 

After:

IMG_0188IMG_0189

Project list:

Painted countertops

Installed backsplash

New faucet

New flooring

New hardware

Painted everything

New Baseboards

New refrigerator

It’s funny when a couple takes on something like this.  These two rooms are the projects Josh and I worked most closely on.  It’s stressful doing this stuff, but I think we found a nice rhythm quickly.  Josh may have called me Gerald a few times under his breath as I was installing the main areas of flooring.  We have a tendency to get a little growly when we work—I mean, my dad and myself, but I tempered it, and Josh was patient with me.   As the project progressed it was awesome to see how what each of us brought to the table proved to be just what was needed to get everything done well.

 

On to our babies:

Josh took on a project that quickly became known as “Garage-majal” by our neighbors. I had very little to do with this one.  It was important to Josh to give us more storage space and a place for all of our bikes.  We have a lot.

Before:

IMG_0108IMG_0109

During:

IMG_0115

After:

IMG_0127IMG_0129

Not great after shots, because his work bench he built is piled high with items that we were donating to the Ward Rummage that weekend, but you get the idea.  The best part-we can now park both our cars in the garage without fear of clipping a bike tire or getting tangled up with a razor scooter.

Now, my baby.  The project that started them all.  I am quite proud of this one, because I had no idea how to do any of it, but really wanted to do a good enough job that you wouldn’t walk in and assume that I was the one that did it.  Does that make sense?  Most astounding to me is that I did it while caring for my kids and while Josh was working ALL. THE. TIME. 

Before:  (kind of)

I don’t have any before of this particular bathroom, but here is one of the master bathroom.  Same vinyl flooring, same wall color, same vanity.  You get the idea

DSCI1442

After:

IMG_0116IMG_0117IMG_0118IMG_0121

Project List:

-Removing layers of old vinyl flooring,  and self leveling compound.  Crazy amount of work.

-Install tile floor

-Paint walls

-paint and install wainscoting  with new chair rail and baseboard trim

-New vanity top and faucet

 

There you have it.  The first of many overdue posts.  More to follow.

4 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

Wow. Wow. Wow! You are amazing! I'm so incredibly impressed! I love your flooring, the garage reorganization, and the colors and backsplash and everything you chose! Beautiful work.

And doing it with kids and no husband is no small task, either! Way to go!

(Did you get my fb message about us being there on Sunday, November 18 to visit? If you're up for it, we'd like to come to church and then maybe come over to your house and hang out/do lunch or dinner? Let me know!)

Kali said...

This all looks SO great! You guys rock!

The Gray Gang said...

Projects are ah-mazing!!!! My fav pic is the before of taring the carpet out. What a huge improvement. Your pictures don't do it justice. But let me tell you, the lists you made, although they were quite short, I get it, every back breaking, sweat dripping from your nose, second of it! Good job!!!

pavitra rishta said...

so nice blogger i will miss this blogger ilike it very much