Sunday, September 30, 2012

A Little Will

 

It’s been SO long since I’ve really written anything, so I think I’ll try this week to take a day to write about each of my kids.  Long overdue.  I’ll start with the one who has taken over the blog lately. 

DSCI1339

William on one of his very first days of practice. 

Will playing football has advanced me to a new stage of mommy-hood.  Up until this point, I’ve managed to remain a stay-at-home mom of small children.  Will’s entry into the world of extra-curriculars has thrown me into the next realm—the “sometimes-I’m-at-home” mom who parents very small children, and then a medium sized one (an a nearly medium sized one).  This is different.  The medium sized child has their own agenda.  Well, they all do, but its expected that now I yield and bend, and make it happen Smile  We now do practices and cub scouts.  And our Saturdays are filled with football chatter and juggling kids to get him to the field on time.  It’s funny what we are willing to do in the name of a well-rounded child.  I’ll tell you what…I’m ok with a rectangular child—maybe with rounded corners.  There is only so much a family can sacrifice for the one.  I can see how this could get wildly out of control if not kept on a tight leash.  

Perhaps it goes without saying, but Will turned 8! (The baptism post may have implied this??)

DSCI1340DSCI1343DSCI1345

Will at 8 is a lot of fun.  It’s nice as a mom to see your kids mature a little.  For a while, I wondered if it would ever happen.  He doesn’t love school, but his attitude about it is generally positive.  He is just as literal and concrete as ever.  Always having to double check when we tease or make a joke by asking, “Are you lying?” or “You’re just joking, right?”  Today we had our primary program.  When he was getting up to leave the bench, Josh whispered to him, “Knock ‘em dead”.  Will didn’t hear him correctly and said, “Knock “em down?  Oh, you mean like tackle them”?  That’s just how his brain works. 
Will had a particularly challenging day at school after a string of really great days, and Josh took him for a bike ride that evening.  Josh tried to use the ride as a teaching moment to help Will learn and understand how the challenges he had at school could be corrected just like when he took a wrong turn on his bike.  After Josh finished explaining this Will looked at him, dead serious, and said, “What?!  That’s nothing like school! I just had to turn my bike around!”

He is my kid that doesn’t like it when a sad part comes on a movie or television show because it makes him feel sad “without even trying”.  He will never refuse a hug or a bed time snuggle.  He is tender hearted and kind, and we love him.

3 comments:

Tyler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AnnaMarie said...

Aww, that's sweet. I still can't believe Will is 8. It was just a few weeks ago that he was 4.

The Gray Gang said...

We still talk about Will's baptism. It was my kids first to see and will forever be the day that Kevin "just can't wait til it's my turn!."
Oh and thanks for bringing Kevin's medal over. "How Did Sis Brown do this!" And "I just can't believe I got my own medal!" We're repeated nearly 100 times tonight. And the gummy bears were inhaled. Thanks for the special delivery.