Monday, May 9, 2011

Lucky Me

 

DSCI0261

Will and Isaac with the flowers they picked for me for Mother’s Day.

As the day went on they just kept adding to the cup.  They chose a plastic cup from Valentine’s Day with hearts on it, because hearts mean love and wrote on it with a Sharpie, “Happy Mother’s Day”.  It doesn’t get much better. 

Perhaps some women feel that Mother’s Day is definitely in order, but the longer I’m a mom and the more kids I have the less I feel that way.  Don’t get me wrong, I think it is great that we set aside time to tell our mom’s how special they are to us, but as a mom, I want my family to be sure, every day, that what I do for them is a blessing to me.  I taught a lesson this week for the Relief Society and Young Women on being a daughter of God, and there couldn’t have been a better preparation for me for Mother’s Day.  The Hymn “As Sisters in Zion” has a verse that says

The errand of Angels is given to women and this is our gift that as sisters we claim:  to do whatsoever is gentle and and human, to cheer and to bless in humanity’s name.

It’s a gift.  It is because I am a daughter of God and because I have infinite value, that Heavenly Father has given me the gift of motherhood and the necessary divine attributes to accomplish it.  So, with this in mind, you can imagine the surprise for my little family when after church I sat them down for a “talk” and told them how thankful I was to be their mom and gave them all gifts to say thank you.  It is way more fun to give your kids and husband gifts than it is to receive them.  Pretty good day for every one.

1 comment:

AnnaMarie said...

Amen to that.

Also, it looks like we have a renter set up, a couple with no kids who are going to put in new bathroom vanities/faucets in exchange for lower rent. Hopefully we get it all squared away, and we might be coming that way...I'll let you know!