Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Day

Isaac's first day of K-4
Will's First day of 1st Grade


I have made a new resolution with my approach to motherhood. I value Josh's work outside of the home. He does a ton. That really is an understatement. I know that he is working hard for us, and so I want to be sure that I'm doing everything I can to maximize my time while at my work place. My goal is that from the time the kids wake up in the morning until they are tucked into bed at night that I will be working for the betterment of my family. That means no blogging, or hulu watching, or checking emails until after they are all asleep at 8:30. Here it is, day one, of my new job, and I'm already making an exception. The thoughts for the blog are here now and probably will be gone at 8:30, so I thought I'd better jump on it.




That said, school started!! HOORAY! This summer was long. For all of us. The boys were ready for this day. I was such a proud mama as Will confidently lined up for school without me there with him, and told me to have a good day as he got out of the car. Isaac asked all morning if it was time to go to school yet. He got himself dressed and his shoes on without being asked. Brushed his teeth, and even asked me to comb his hair. Anyone, who is even a little familiar with Isaac knows this is not only rare, but has never happened before. Ever. This is the same kid who likes to be "the king of naked day" and not get dressed. (For anyone wondering if we have naked day at our house, the answer is absolutely not! This is Isaac's own thing and quite frankly, he is the only one who celebrates it, much to the rest of our dismay.)


Finger's crossed that they have a great first day.


I like dropping my kids off at school. Not just for what seems like the obvious reason of the few hours of quiet that follows, but because I like to see other parents dropping their kids off. It seems like you hear so many sad stories of abuse, and families breaking apart, so much so that it is a little deflating, but I like to go to school in the morning and see loving parents drop off their kids with a kiss and a hug, just trying to do the best that they can for their kids. I know that I don't know the circumstances in their homes, and I don't need or want to know, but what is obvious in that moment is that their kids are loved, and that makes me happy.

No comments: