Thursday, July 22, 2010

My Piece of Humble Pie

Josie, a few days old.
Before, I used to hear parents say things like, "He has been sleeping through the night since two months old." Then I would say in my head, "that's not normal! that baby needs to be up eating! You are just ignoring it!" or something like that. I didn't think such a thing was really possible, but I'm happy to eat my big fat piece of humble pie and admit that it is possible! My Josie does it! Now, this being my third time around, I recognize that this could all change. Just when you think you know what to expect from a baby, they let you know that you aren't nearly as clever as you think you are, but...for now, she sleeps through the night. She goes down between 9:00 and 10:00 and wakes up to eat at 7:00am. Wonderful! She has always been a good sleeper. There is only one night since we've had her home where she woke up more than once in the night to eat, and then she wouldn't wake up for the day until closer to 9:00.
I didn't know it was possible. It is. It's incredible. Motherhood is SO much more manageable when you aren't overtired, and I'm thankful for that.

1 comment:

AnnaMarie said...

You are sure lucky. I'm not sure if humble pie ever tastes that good. I think you have a different kind of pie instead.