Monday, May 3, 2010

Wicked Speed

Isaac, getting ready to go "wicked speed" on his two-wheeler. "Look, Mom! I'm doing it!!"
"I'm really good at my two-wheeler bike, Mom"

and he is really good at his two-wheeler. This morning Josh said that he was going to take the training wheels off of this little red bike, and maybe if Isaac wanted to try to ride a two-wheeler
he could, but I don't think either of us expected him to.
You need to understand something about Isaac. When it comes to natural athletic ability and prowess, our Gigs typically isn't the head of the pack, so when he asked Josh to help him ride this bike this morning, I think that both Josh and I expected one quick, failed attempt, and him deciding to stick to training wheels a little longer. As they walked out the back door for their first lesson, all I could think about was how awkward Isaac looks as he runs. It is best understood if you picture a poor child stricken with polio, and then think about what it would look like when he is able to walk and run without his braces for the first time. Limbs are flailing in every direction, but forward he goes, miraculously. Well, speaking of miracles, not even 10 minutes later Isaac came running into the house, saying, "Mommy, I did it!" I looked to Josh for confirmation, who assured me that this was indeed the case. It took only one time of Josh helping him before he was going "wicked speed" all over. He can even start all by himself. I will never underestimate this child again. Perhaps, I've been too quick to judge when I allow previous experiences with him to dictate how I view his potential. I will no longer view the time I found Isaac sitting on the couch in his underwear, asleep, with one hand stuffed into a giant bag of Cheetos, and the other down his pants as a clear indicator of what "type" of kid we are dealing with, but instead, warn you all that this kid could be president one day. You just never know.

1 comment:

The Gray Gang said...

Good job Issac! You're awesome!!! Josie is adorable Megan. If your boys ever need a play date so Mommy can have some girl time, let me know. We love boys at our house!! They are welcome anytime.