Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Look, Feel, Help

Last week for Family Home Evening we had a lesson on service. The boys listened fairly well, and then to put it all in action we made cookies and delivered them to some people in the Ward. The boys loved it. Everything about it. We delievered a plate to our Bishop, and the following day the Bishop called to thank Will for the cookies and the note that Will wrote him. After Bishop was through thanking him I prompted Will to tell him "you're welcome", which he did, but followed it up with a, "Maybe you could make me some cookies now too!" I swear that wasn't part of the lesson.
The rest of the week when I needed them to do something like put their clothes in the dirty clothes or run and grab something for me I was sure to phrase it with "Will you do me a service?" Each time I said it, they almost always were quicker to respond and do. It was amazing.
As a follow up lesson to last week we talked about kindness, and made these rockin' glasses that I found in an old Friend magazine. In addition we made thank you cards for Grandma Hall since she sent the boys snuggly Christmas blankets. I was sure, though, to allow them to practice what they had been taught by simply bringing up how nice it was of Grandma to do that for them, and had them 'look, feel, and then do' which made Will think that thank yous were in order.
Why this terribly long story? I am amazed at how little effort it takes to teach these young kids some really solid and sound principles and virtues. 15 minutes and a coloring page, with some minor modifications in how I talk about things there after, and hopefully, I've planted the seeds for service and genuine kindness. Pretty stinking amazing. In comparison to most of the other moms I know, I am mediocre at best, so just think what you all are capable of!



2 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

You are definitely not mediocre. And thanks for the reminder! We're currently having a fight about Katie eating more cookie dough.

Jill Best said...

As usual Megan, you amaze me. My kids should have had a mom like you.