Monday, March 16, 2009

You Smell Like All Day

There is a saying at our house that goes, "Hey, you smell like all day". What would that mean to the outsider...I'm not sure, but to us it means you smell like somebody who has been out in the sun and the wind and the dirt, and all of those things have left their smells on you. Well, right now, I smell like all day, and after a long hibernation, it couldn't smell sweeter. My boys smell like little sticky, sweaty kids, and they have dirt smeared from top to bottom, and that is the way it was meant to be for the Brown's. We are a sun loving people, but more than that we are creatures of warmth, and today we were in our element. It was beautiful in Wisconsin. We pulled out the BBQ and now to sweeten the senses, I can add the smell of smoky hamburgers and hotdogs to my scent, and I'll tell you what, if I could figure out a way to bottle this smell and sell in during the winter time, then I know I would be rich, because these are the smells of summer. During the deep freeze of January you are sure such a smell doesn't really exist. In November you remembered it vaguely, in December you had an inkling, but by January it is gone--someone mentioned it to you in February, but this only brought anger and hurt as you tried so hard to remember but couldn't, but if I could come by with my magic summer potion and remind my fellow sun-lovers that it does exist and you will smell it again, I would be rich.
The best part about today, is that the news said that tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer. Change is a comin'!

3 comments:

Kali said...

I'm SO glad it's warming up for you guys. Cold weather and I DO NOT MIX either! It seems it's warming up earlier this year and it makes me happy, too.
Remember when we sat in your apt. in SLC and I VERY STRONGLY said I would never move to Wisconsin cuz it's too cold....hee hee just thought I would throw that in there. :) TOO FUNNY!
After being outside and smelling that way I always say, "You smell like outside!" Glad someone else notices the smell besides me.

AnnaMarie said...

I am so sad that we were not part of this barbecue. Next time we'll bring the meat if we can come! Our grill is sad...

Serenity said...

Oh that was perfect! That is exactly how I feel. Never heard it called smelling like all day before... but it works :) I have discovered that I could live my whole life quite contently without winter. I don't know, maybe in 50 years I might miss the sight of snow... maybe. And we are in Boise. We hardly have it as bad!