Wednesday, June 25, 2008

You're so lucky!

My neighbor said to me the other day, "You're so lucky to be able to spend nice, relaxing days watching your kids play outside." My response was quick, "Have you met my kids?" Surely, he was being sarcastic. Still, I am unsure what he meant. This is the same neighbor who seemed shocked and appalled when I told him we were planning on having more kids. He thought two was plenty. I told him where I come from having only two kids means I'm just getting warmed up.
He is right though, I am lucky. It's nice to be a mom, and certainly nice to feel needed, Heaven knows I feel needed. If it weren't for me people would starve, bugs might invade, mold would grow, and somehow everything would remain lost, because I'm the only one that was given the gift of really looking.
There are moments, however, when I think to myself, "Nobody told me about this!" For instance last night at 11:30 when I was standing outside our garage with a garden hose, power washing chunks of throw up off Isaac's bedding...nobody told me about this. I suppose my mom used to do that too, but she must have had super powers to become invisible, because I don't remember seeing it. Maybe I have that too. A side note-something else nobody told me about was how necessary the power washing phase of throw up cleaning is. You can't just throw that stuff in your washing machine and expect it to all just disappear. Nope, put throw up covered laundry into the washer, and when the cycle is done and you open the lid, what you get is laundry and cleaned off throw up chunks. Almost as though you just sent the throw up for a day at the spa, it comes out looking a little cleaner, a little fresher, but still there.
To be fair, nobody told me...how much you can be frustrated and tired, and how still at the end of the day you go to bed musing over the days events and laughing at the balls of hilarity that toddlers are. Pretty lucky.

4 comments:

Jill Best said...

You, my dear sister are hilarious! I will be checking your blog from Vernal for a much needed dose of humor.

Charis said...

Meg, I am so pleased. What a good little writer you are. Seriously. keep blogging..you're a natural!! I need more pic though of your handsome boys! And you and Josh too actually!

Missy said...

Megan, that was so fun! It is great to get to enjoy your sense of humor, even though you are so far away!

H. said...

Thanks for the laugh! Heaven knows I need it and can relate! Thanks for inviting me to read your blog. If you want you can check out mine...
contemplatingmama.blogspot.com