Sunday, August 15, 2010

Melting

I'm pretty sure that every family has one of these. You know, a worrier. We have a worrier at our house. His name is William. If Will is watching TV or playing something that has his full attention, you can be standing right next to him, practically yelling to get his attention, and you likely won't get it, until you pull out the big guns. What might those be? Just mention the word fire alarm.
Now, before I go any further, I'd like to mention that I realize that this might in fact have lingering consequences that haunt him into adulthood, but it's the only way to get the kid to listen! I could tell him 10 times in a row, getting louder and louder each time that breakfast is ready, and not so much of a twitch to let me know it registered. But, if I happen to say, "Will, I'm close to the fire alarm" panic flashes across his face, and he quickly darts his attention my way. At this time I say, "Hey, your breakfast is ready." I know that it's cruel, but it works because Will is a worrier.
Living in Wisconsin, every summer there is the threat for "severe" weather. Will takes this seriously. He watches the news coverage intently to see that we are all informed. About a week ago, he was monitoring the atmospheric pressure and dew point readings for us as any six year old would, when they flashed a graphic on the screen of the country showing the hottest regions, and mentioned that the oppressive heat was headed our way. They weren't kidding!
Will tried to warn us several times that the "hotness" was coming, but like fools, we planned several outdoor activities anyway, much to his dismay.

First, a sizzler at Miller Park to watch the Brewers play the Diamond Backs. Will was quick to point out upon our arrival that the hotness was here.




You'll notice there are only pictures of the boys and Josh. Where are Josie and me? In the first aid station with nurse Mary. No worries, we are fine, but it was one of the only air conditioned rooms in the whole joint, and I'm pretty sure Josie would have turned into an adorable puddle of sweetness had I not sought cooler air.

Next, the ward picnic. No pictures. It was sufficiently buggy, hot, sticky and rainy. Nothing screams ward unity like being huddled together getting high off of each other's bug spray fumes, and feeling desperate to be sitting closest to the citronella candles. Muskego Lakes Pride!
Finally, on Saturday Josh took the boys out for a long bike ride. It was hot. Really hot, but that didn't stop them. Strangely, Josie and I also participated in this activity but from the comfort of the air conditioned vehicle. I strategically parked at stops along the route to serve as a pit stop and possible medic should things turn sour. They all did great.
Thankfully, we survived the "hotness". Today was beautiful. All is well...until Will let's us know that it isn't.








5 comments:

Jen I said...

Wow, you guys are brave. I sit inside or in the pool all summer.

So I'm assuming that means you've actually USED the fire alarm when they're not listening to you? Did I understand that right? If so, don't worry, I feel cruel too but my kids frequently sulk by the car and won't walk through the parking lot to get back to our apartment and since there's only one of me and three of them plus diaper bags and gear to carry, they better get walking. So I tell them the car is going to start honking if they don't start walking soon. And yes, on more than one occasion I've pushed the panic button on the key remote and had a screaming child finally follow me into the house. I know, it's so cruel. Or maybe that wasn't what you were saying and I just admitted my poor parenting strategies for no reason. :)

Megan said...

I never actually pulled the alarm myself, but it has gone off before due to a neighbor having sprinkler issues in their condo. He's heard it, and that makes my threat effective :)

AnnaMarie said...

That's awesome that Will is weather-conscious! Way to go in the hotness. It ended here yesterday, too, and I'm SO glad! Especially because we're going camping this weekend!

Kali said...

What a smarty Will is. Cracks me up! You want some heat come here....118 heat index last week!

LittleFamilyJL said...

That is so funny. Looks like a weatherman in the making! :)