Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Thriller at Miller

On Saturday, Josh got to play in some softball games appropriate titled, "The Thriller at Miller". The medical students at the Medical College of Wisconsin play against the dental students at Marquette. I am proud to say that in the two games that Josh played in, they creamed the dental students!

The park that sat above Helfaer Field where they played there games.


The boys



Josh warming up with the team

Josh at bat. He hit a home run, right over the wall.




You can't see it very well, but Josh is running the bases. No matter how out or in shape Josh is, he is always incredibly fast. To somebody like me, who wakes up at the ridiculous hour of 5:00am to go the gym, this is point of frustration, because I try so much harder, yet am never going to be faster.



At one point in the first game both of the boys started complaining that they had to go poo! "Oh great!" These are where we spent the next half hour of our day. I thought it was totally disgusting, but the boys thought they were the best thing they have ever seen. During this picture they are both inside there, and I overheard them saying to each other, "Look! our poo is turning green in that blue water! Hey, Mommy? Could you come take a picture?!" I drew the line at just taking a picture at what they deemed to be one of the highlights of the whole day...using the port-a-potties.
Josh warming up pitching. I thought it was a terrible idea, at first, to have him pitch, because past experiences have proved this to be the case, but he found his groove and did really well.




Isaac, feeling total dismay as Will tells him, "No ticket for you!"




We all agreed this picture is frightening! On the drive home we were talking about how only certain hats work for my exceptionally tiny head--this one, not so much. Josh suggested that I smile real big to make my face look as big as possible. What you get is part human part reptile. In addition to a teeny tiny head/ears and amazon hand, I also have the privilege of sporting a lizard/raptor neck.
**What did I learn from all of this? I can't say with certainty that the medical students are indeed better at softball, but I can say that they as a whole were less drunk. When we pulled up to the park in the glorious AM, you know, before NOON, and you see a sea of yellow Marquette shirts pounding down brewskies, you have a feeling you might have a leg up on them. It works to the med students advantage that they are doing rotations that require them to be on call at the hospitals, otherwise the games might actually have been closer, but really? I don't think so.












1 comment:

Tyler said...

You made us MCoW alum proud! I am sure it had little to do with pre-game alcohol consumption and more to do with the pitcher/home run hitting MSTP student-athlete. Wish we could have been there.